Advancing walking, cycling and all forms of sustainable transportation to benefit society and improve people’s lives…
SBI’s Mission is to advance the creation, communication, and application of sustainable transportation systems knowledge to benefit society and improve people’s lives.
Our Vision is of a world where walking and cycling are included as primary choices for transportation, and they are accommodated as safe, comfortable, convenient, and dignified ways of traveling that promote public health, environmental conservation, connected communities and sustainable development.
We value an inclusive and collaborative approach to transportation. SBI works to include walking and cycling, and all active modes, in all phases of transportation planning, development and operations. We value walking and cycling as traditional, healthy, and low impact ways of traveling. We also realize promoting walking and cycling uplifts communities. By designing transportation systems to accommodate these simple, smart and essential mobility choices, we create a myriad of benefits—improved public safety, livability, affordability, social connectedness, energy savings, a cleaner environment, health and wellness, happier families and children, access to outdoors, a more creative economy, calmer streets, increased mobility freedom and a more equitable society.
- Increase recognition of the value sustainable transportation delivers to our economies, communities and individual lives.
- Grow participation in active transportation by teaching knowledge, skills and instilling confidence.
- Fully integrate walking and cycling into transportation systems with comprehensive consideration for safety, convenience, access, and comfort.
- Expand walking and cycling’s role in promoting public health, environmental conservation, and sustainable development.
- Lead an inclusive movement embracing all aspects of cycling, including sport, that develops cycling to its fullest potential.
To download the SBI flyer, click HERE